GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, is the leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression/identity. GLSEN is looking for a paid, full-time summer communications intern for its New York City office.
The GLSEN communications intern will work with communications staff and occasionally support other departments. The intern will gain firsthand knowledge of the workings of a large national nonprofit, and will help implement GLSEN’s messaging, marketing and communications outreach.
- Assist in analyzing GLSEN media coverage
- Provide content and support for GLSEN social media
- Write regular blog posts
- Help run the shop.glsen.org webstore
- Research support for various Communications projects
- Work with Director of Communications to formulate self-driven project
- Help maintain GLSEN materials library and archives
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized
- Strong word processing and database management skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
- Ability to work with and relate to community members and community organizations
- Interest in communications work for nonprofits
- Passion for and knowledge of LGBT and/or education issues
- Experience with multiple social media platforms
- Knowledge of HTML a plus
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters at 90 Broad Street, New York, NY.
The position includes a weekly stipend.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.