GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, is the leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression/identity. GLSEN is looking for a paid spring communications intern for its New York City office.
The GLSEN communications intern will report to the Digital Communications Associate and work primarily with GLSEN's Communications team, occasionally supporting other departments. The intern will gain firsthand knowledge of the workings of a national nonprofit, and will help implement GLSEN’s messaging, marketing and communications outreach. The communications intern will also have the opportunity to pursue an independent communications project informed by GLSEN's work.
- Assist in analyzing GLSEN media coverage
- Provide content and support for GLSEN social media
- Write regular blog posts and create other website content
- Assist in managing the GLSEN webstore
- Provide research support for various Communications projects
- Create program content for GLSEN's Day of Silence and No Name-Calling Week
- Work with Digital Communications Associate to formulate self-driven project
- Help maintain GLSEN materials library and archives
- Provide departmental administrative support
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized
- Ability to work with and relate to community members, community organizations and students
- Interest in communications work for nonprofits
- Passion for and knowledge of LGBT and/or education issues
- Experience with multiple social media platforms
- Knowledge of HTML, content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or video editing a plus, but not required
- Spanish skills a plus, but not required
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters at 90 Broad Street, New York, NY. The position includes a weekly stipend.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Internships typically last 10 to 12 weeks; please indicate your availability in your cover letter. Start and end dates are flexible.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.