Media Relations Manager
Chief Communications and Advocacy Officer
The Media Relations Manager plays an integral role in advancing GLSEN’s mission and strategic plan by leveraging media to ensure and increase public understanding of GLSEN as the national leader working to address LGBT issues in K-12 education, with programs and initiatives making concrete improvements in the lives of students every day. The ideal candidate will have experience securing media placements on the national level as well as a successful track record building relationships with targeted media such as LGBT and education press. The Media Relations Manager also oversees GLSEN’s messaging platform, ensuring consistent and compelling messaging that works to strengthen the case for creating a world where young people learn to value and respect all people, regardless of sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity.
- Build and maintain strong relations with national media and media working on education and/or LGBT issues.
- Increase public recognition of GLSEN brand and programs.
- Develop and implement successful media campaigns to support GLSEN initiatives.
- Write and disseminate compelling press releases and engaging PR collateral materials showcasing the GLSEN brand and programs.
- Maintain media lists.
- Manage GLSEN Respect Awards gala red carpets, which have become go-to events for celebrities and media in LA and NY and routinely generate significant coverage from national media.
- Develop and oversee a messaging platform to ensure consistency throughout internal and external audiences.
- Provide media training and preparation for relevant senior staff, Chapter leaders, student spokespeople and others as needed.
- Place GLSEN spokespeople, including GLSEN Student Ambassadors, in national and regional media.
- Provide strategic communications advice to Director of Communications and other Senior Staff.
- Maintain and develop content for Media sections on organization websites.
- Support communications efforts of GLSEN’s Chapter Network and other volunteer constituencies.
- Track and analyze GLSEN media coverage and provide recommendations for improved performance.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- 5-7 Years Media Relations and/or related experience
- BA/BS in related field or related experience
- Strong knowledge of communications campaigns and proven effective public relations strategies
- Strong writing and editing skills required
- Track record of placing spokespeople in national media
- Strong verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of Public Relations software
- Proficiency using social media
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask and support multiple departments
- Familiarity with, and a passion for, LGBT issues in K-12 education
- Knowledge of LGBT and Education media a plus
Resumes and letter of interest should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 212-727-0254 or mailed to HR-MRM, GLSEN, 90 Broad Street, 2nd floor, New York, NY 10004
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.